Friday, January 27, 2012

Movie Review: The Wedding Planner


I imagine all  women to want their weddings to be perfect just like that of the fairy tales that they have read growing up but not all women, believe it or not, end up having the weddings that they want to have. I do not need to further explain why as there are so many reasons as to why they never come true. I imagined my wedding to be much better than how it went but eventually settled for a simpler one instead. 


In the movie, The Wedding Planner, Jennifer Lopez plays the role of Maria,  a wedding planner who is devoted to  his career and who knows how to make the dreams of women about their wedding day come true. Everybody thought that she lives a romantic life but in reality, she is alone without a partner and without a love life to boast about. Like many women, she dreams to find Mr. Right but after her soon to be husband ditched her for her friend, she decided to become cautious in loving another. Meanwhile as she walks on her way to work while talking on her phone, she  met an accident and who comes to her rescue? None other than Dr. Steve Edison, played by Matthew McConaughey. She ends up being taken to the hospital and she ends up spending time with him at the park that night. They danced  as they watched an old movie but before they were able to kiss each other, they were interrupted by an untimely rain shower. After showing up blissfully happy the next day, her friends speculated of her finding someone that she likes. She gloated at that fact and she was happy to finally have found him. Unfortunately, her happiness was cut short as she later finds out that the man that she likes is actually engaged to be married to Fran Donolly played by Bridgette Wilson-Sampras and to make matters worse, she is her biggest client and that only means she needs to plan their wedding. Maria felt betrayed and was angry at Steve for deceiving her but soon realized that she needed to be professional about it so decided to brush her feelings aside. As she plans their wedding, things start to happen and she feels herself thinking of how she wants her life to end up. She doesn't want to end up being alone and yet she doesn't want to end up with the wrong person. Will she choose to love the man that she thought was Mr. Right or choose her childhood friend who wants nothing more from her but to give him a chance to love her? 


The movie got me thinking. Not because I am in the same situation as the lead actress in the movie but rather because I felt the question what if itching inside of me. What if I did not marry Mr. Right? What if my marriage turns out badly? What if I was meant to meet another and live a different life? Fortunately, I was sensible  to think things  through. First of all, I have made myself believe that there is no such thing as Mr. Right and that we only make one up in our heads because we want that person to be with us forever. Something like an imaginary friend, if you ask me. Second of all, we will never know what will happen in the future no matter how hard we try. In order to do so, we must take a giant leap of faith and hope for the best after that. Jennifer and  Matthew had very good chemistry in the film and although some parts of the film were rather impossible, somehow I felt like it wasn't bad to dream. The film had its funny moments and it also showed us a valuable lesson that love conquers all. Would I recommend this film to anyone? Sure, I would. I think its worth watching especially for those hopeless romantic people out there like me.
The Movie Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment