Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Difference Of Teenage Pregnancies In Real Life & In The Movies - A Jenny, Juno Review

How would you feel if one day you found out that your teenage daughter is pregnant or your teenage son will already become a father to an unborn child? I am sure you'd have mixed feelings about it but initially, your reactions would be shocked, confused and angry. Yes, teenage pregnancy is an issue and because of our changing times, it is becoming more an epidemic these days. The number of teenage parents are growing fast and it is becoming really alarming but before I talk about that, I just want to review another Korean movie I watched today that tackles with the said topic. 


The movie is called Jenny, Juno. Sure it does sound like it's Western movie counterpart called Juno and it does deal with the same thing but I do not want to compare both movies now. Anyway, The film centers on the title characters of Jenny and Juno , two fifteen year old middle school students whose one night of romance has dramatic consequences for both their lives. After careful deliberation, the two expectant parents decide to keep the baby. However, they also decide to keep the pregnancy a secret from everyone, even their families. But just how long will Jenny and Juno be able to hide the truth from their parents? Let's face it, teenage pregnancy is not easy. For a 15 year old to have it in an Asian faily is even more difficult. Now, why do I say that? Because I come from a conventional Asian family and when something like this happens to their children, it is considered as a disgrace. Which is why I understand why they tried so hard to keep it from their parents.


*****WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!*****


The movie did not tackle the issue too seriously as the said issue is a delicate one. Let's face it, being with a child is a blessing and we have no right to castrate anyone from having them. Although as parents, we do have a say on what our children do. I personally have mixed feelings about the issue but I'd rather keep that to myself for now and just talk about the movie first. Jenny and Juno were young and in love and just like every other teenage couple, they believed that they would be together forever and live happily ever after but soon after they find out that their lives are about to change, Juno decides to avoid Jenny for awhile but in the end, they still decide to keep the child. I can't say that the teenagers in the movie were naive and innocent for they were already having sex education classes in school to begin with. Most people believe that when you educate the young of these things, then that would help them avoid themselves from being young parents however some students take their sex education class differently. Sure, they learn from it but they don't learn to avoid being parents, others learn because they want to be. Who knows what goes on in a teenage mind?


Naturally, nothing stays hidden forever so in the end when both their families find out about Jenny's pregnancy, they try to separate the young lovers and even had thoughts of letting her go through an abortion but Jenny and Juno were decided to take on their responsibilities as the mother and father of the child and have decided that no matter what, they will raise the child and still continue with their lives. Their parents were outraged at first knowing that they have already made other plans but when Juno proves his love for her and she ends up having the baby afterwards, in the end, everything changed. The baby was a miracle and was a blessing as well for in the end, both families became reunited. Both their parents supported them and their dreams an at the same time were proud and happy to have a grandson of their own. I just wish real life teenage pregnancies were like that. Too bad it was all too polished for the screen. 


When a teenage girl becomes pregnant, she starts losing her friends. People start to gossip about her and people start alienating her. She becomes an outcast in her once vibrant world. She become depressed and becomes alone. Unfortunately, sometimes even their parents do the same nasty things to them. Leaving them even more empty and confused. Meanwhile, a teenage boy who becomes a father to be, may be as affected as a teenage mom to be is. He can still hang around with his friends, do everything he wants and just go on with his life. Clearly, the biggest burden comes to the ladies. I have known some immediate family members who have dealt with their own teenage pregnancy drama. I personally know what they have gone through. Sure, at some point, I did think of them as stupid because they weren't careful but at the same time, I realized that they are a part of my family too and as much as I want to avoid them, I know I can't and that I shouldn't for I might be one of the only people who will support them through it all. They were lucky to have had a supportive mother as well. Otherwise, I am sure they would not have been able to deal with the pressure back then.


We can think of many ways of how to stop teenage pregnancy and teen parenthood but at the end of the day, it still all depend on the teenagers themselves to make sure that they do make right choices in their lives. We can never dictate anything to them but we can always tell them that there will always be consequences to their actions so they should always think before they act. I did not go through teen pregnancy when I was younger all because I made the choice not to. I am over 25 now and married and now I think is the right time to have a baby. We may not all make the right choices in our lives but we can always choose to make them right. Something wrong can never be corrected by another wrong. So if you know someone who is undergoing these kinds of changes, don't be a stranger to them instead be a friend. If there is one time that they need someone, that time is now. We can all help in every single way we can. Always remember too that the world doesn't end there. There is always life after a teenage pregnancy. All you have to do is make the right choices after that and deal with it. It won't be an easy one living with all the changes but at least, you can always make your life better in your own little way. Teenage pregnancy is not a punishment but a new beginning to your life and your newborn child as well. Be more responsible.
 The actual movie posters of the said Korean movie...
These days, teens are more open to things that they shouldn't know about just yet. Sure, there is sex education to blame for it but overall, I blame the media as well for encouraging the teens to watch things that are rather inappropriate which makes them open to such ideas. I wasn't a perfect teen growing up. I had my own issues that I had to battle but none of them included this.
In the end, all you can is what's done is done. So better learn from your experiences. I do not want to call a pregnancy a mistake or an accident for I do not believe in that. Maybe I can call it unplanned. Just saying that having a baby is a big responsibility in itself. If you cannot even take care of your own self, how would you be capable enough to take care of another life? So think before you do anything you might regret in the end or something that will change your life forever and will make you grow up faster than you want it to be.


2 comments:

  1. My friend said these days a woman getting knocked up is just a poor excuse for a woman who thinks with her down there and a man who sticks it to a hole but can't stick with the girl when there is a bun in the oven, READ ANDI E. T)_(T

    In showbiz and in real life, teenage pregnancy is devastating and shameful for a family to endure. It's like slapping your mom in the face and kicking your dad in the balls basically. And romanticizing it in a movie is just a no-no for me. It's like that dumb Gossip Girl rip off "First time" that showed young people in vengeful and superficial relationships or the remake of "Katorse" which obviously is about teenagers engaging in unprotected sex resulting to one girl having to deal with people who didn't like her, a manchild who can't handle real life responsibilities and whole other crapload of growing pains.

    I think that sex education is important. And it's good to have prejudices when it comes to what you have to do so you don't get knocked up. God as my witness I was wild in my 17 to early twenties. But not one time did I risk (all that much) my life or my unborn child's life (though they are imaginary since I used my BRAIN to plan for my life and not my coochie)

    I had a friend who had an abortion and I knew then more than ever that it would never be an option for me. I would rather die first than get one. Incidentally if you get one, there is a chance that you would.

    I was so afraid for my friend then and so very anger. There is a poem somewhere where I called her a murderer. But had she had that child she would have married a drug addict cheating moron. So I guess things worked out for the best. I am sure the baby disagrees in heaven.

    But my cousins who got knocked up and then hitched still carry the same. They lost their future LITERALLY because of what happened. And that dragged the hopes and dreams of their ENTIRE improvised family.

    I hate teenage pregnancy because of a more personal reason. No, my mom didn't have me outside of marriage eheh she was one of those rare daughters who listened to her elders. She is a paragon of virtue (I think she played mama mary once in a procession). But every time some idiot cousin gets knocked up. This had happened more than once, my mom is the go to person to talk to like she was some kind of mom/parent shrink who can magically make things go away. I think my stupid cousins caused my mom's present heart problems. She gets palpitations every so often. My brothers and I never gave her similar issues to deal with.

    Far removed from being a perfect daughter, I always think that I have done so much that my mom would call shameful but I wouldn't give her any genetic evidence of it outside of marriage. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a big issue around the world and I think the chances of having anybody in your family deal with this kind of issue is not so rare anymore. Two of cousins went through it and my half siblings had the same experience as well. Sure, they did throw away their future but in the end, some of them were blessed. Others were just plain unlucky. A child is a life too and just like you, I do not want to get an abortion. I am married and want to have at least one kid so I am angry at those women who have their babies aborted all because of their own personal reasons. If they can't be responsible for their actions, why should they indulge in creating life in the first place? Sure it is for obvious reasons that the process of making life is both fun and pleasurable at the same time but what happens next is a totally different thing. Families should be planned and a teenage goes against that. I wouldn't know what I would do to my kid if he/she ends up dealing with such a problem in the future. I guess it's either I'd have a heart attack or end up with just dealing with the shit that has been brought on to me like a real adult.

    ReplyDelete