Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Is Your Partner Lying To You? What If He/She Is Actually A Spy For The Government? - A My Girlfriend Is An Agent Review

Move over, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, there are new agents in town! *Bang! Bang!*


Soo Ji (played by Kim Ha Neul) is a travel agent but unknown to everyone, she is actually a spy who has been working for the government for 6 years now. Since lying is a part of her job, she had to continue lying to her boyfriend named Jae Joon (played by Kang Ji Hwan). After constantly lying to him, he decides to leave her without notice. After 3 years they accidentally meet again. Only this time, Soo Ji was pretending to be a cleaning lady while Jae Joon introduces himself as an accountant but little did she know that he entered the NIS (National Intelligence Service) as an agent in its overseas branch. They constantly run into each other in their missions without knowing that they are both field agents but even after such a long time of breaking up with each other, their feelings for each other are still strong and intact making their attraction undeniable but what will happen next to these brave yuong lovers? Will they choose to save their country or will they choose to fight for love? Lying is part of the job, secrecy is the name of the game in "My Girlfriend is an Agent".


*****WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!!*****


It was my second time to watch this movie and yet, it still entertained me. I have watched Kim Ha Neul several times in other movies and other tv dramas before and I think she can act while Kang Ji Hwan is also a hell of a funny guy. The rest of the cast made the movie an effective one too. I love how the director combined the elements of it being an action spy movie with a little romance and comedy on the side. It was easy to watch and very enjoyable as well. The story wasn't too complicated to follow through and the characters were all very colorful. Over all, I believe the movie is a great success. Soo Ji was a believable agent while Jae Joon was a real mess. They had good chemistry though which made the partnership work. Sure, it was strange to imagine that a Russian villain that had a sword for a weapon would be defeated by just two Korean agents who merely had tiny, thin flagpoles. It's unbelievable how Jae Joon saved the day but at the same time, it was also a feat that Soo Ji managed to kick such a big woman off of that height. I guess things like that should be believable in the movies but in real life, I don't think that can happen. 


Now, Mr. and Mrs. Smith VS. My Girlfriend Is An Agent...


I do not think it was a rip off of the Hollywood film. I think it was more of on a different level to begin one. I don't remember Brad Pitt being as funny as Kang Ji Hwan in this film. Sure, Angelina Jolie looked hot as a spy in their film but Kim Ha Neul wasn't so  bad either. I  just think that the Hollywood film was far more serious and technical when it came to the spy world and the government operations itself. In the Korean film, there was a part where the two of them were suspected to be working for the Russian KGB but in the end, the matter was settled in a different approach not like in the Hollywood movie where Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie had to look cool in their white suits and shades and just go on about back to back while killing people who tried to get to them. I don't have the Hollywood film though as I think both films rocked for me. 


Lastly, We all know that lying is a crime when it comes to relationships but then again, we are talking about secret agents here people. I am sure the word secret wouldn't be in the name of their job if it wasn't so important. I guess in their field of expertise, deception is the name of the game which is why they are required to lie and to continue to do everything in secrecy. To all of us who are not a part of the secret service, we think it's so cool for these people to have codenames, cool gadgets, go to different countries on dangerous missions and yes even hunt down bad guys with their cool moves. I bet it isn't all that easy. They just make everything look good on screen but in real life, they are risking their lives for the safety of everyone even ours. So without a doubt, I respect these people who work hard to make the world a better place. They are be the real superheroes of our time. Honestly, if I found out that this was the reason why my partner lied to me in the first place then so be it. Duty calls and I know that it is more important that his duty to me. Just saying, the harsh reality in that but that doesn't mean my partner should get any ideas. Otherwise, I'll be like "secret service my ass!", punish him and then laugh it off. As a conclusion, I believe that the safety of the world we live in is serious business so its definitely not something to be joked about.
Some photos from the movie and some movie posters as well...
 How can you not compare this movie to the Hollywood blockbuster, Mr. and Mrs. Smith? 
 Lying is bad. No matter how good you get at it.
Now that I think about it, I think it is true cause when people lie they can't stay still and they can't stop themselves from being nervous maybe that's why they say: LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!

2 comments:

  1. LINK!!! I want to see this movie. You know how I am with spy movies. *swoons* I am still moping about the IRIS ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie on Youtube because Mysoju lead me there. Here's the link: http://www.mysoju.com/korean-movie/my-girlfriend-is-an-agent/the-movie/part-1/ Enjoy!~

    ReplyDelete